Tourist attractions

in Novi Sad, Serbia

 

 

Tourist attractions

Danube park
Our Recommendations

List of Attractions in Novi Sad

 Whether you are interested in history or culture, Novi Sad has many sights for visitors to enjoy.

source: Tourist organization of the city of Novi Sad

CITY HALL

(Also known as Magi-strate, Rathaus, Varoshaz) which was built in 1895, is situated at the Square of Liberty and represents a monumental NeoRenaissance building. Back in 1855, they had a competition at which all the builders of the Austrian Empire could compete. The job was given to the so called “baumeister”(in German-construction worker) Georg Molnar.

Petrovaradin fortress

– sometimes called “Gibraltar on the Danube” had been built between 1692 and 1780. It takes 112 acres, and is divided into the upper and a lower town. On the upper town, there are the bastions: Lower Ludwig’s bastion, Upper Ludwig’s bastion, Innocentie’s, Maria Theresa’s, St. Leopold’s and Tsar Joseph’s. Access is possible through the gates of: Ludwig, Leopold, Molinary, Karlo VI and Court gate.

Clock Tower

THE CLOCK TOWER is at the upper town of the fortress. On this site, it used to be an older one which was demolished in 18th century. The radius of the clock is more than two metres long, the four clock faces are directed toward all four cardinal directions, numbers are in roman numerals and the main characteristics of this clock is that the longer hand tells the hours and shorter tells the minutes.

“Štrand” bathing resort

Štrand is the most popular city beach that was arranged and opened for visitors in 1911 already. Nowadays it is the entire small town that stretches along 700 m long sandy beach. For the citizen of Novi Sad it is matter of prestige to have a small booth at Štrand and use the summer for socialising and good time with their friends. Štrand is a favourite place among the youngest for who have sufficient entertaining facilities.

City Museum of Novi Sad

THE MUSEUM OF NOVI SAD is located in several places. The main building is at Petrovaradin fortress and it offers two constant exhibitions “The fortress in the past” and “Novi Sad from 18th to 20th century”. Also, there are city museums in Dunavska Street in Novi Sad, in Sremski Karlovci, in Sremska Kamenica where visitors can learn many facts about Novi Sad and its history, culture, religion…

Underground galleries

SUBTERRANEAN MILITARY GALLERIES is a four storey communication and defensive system 10 miles long. This complicated system was built in 1783 and it represented a real tourist attraction. Tour guides show web of corridors and rooms, crenels and mining systems. After the Antwerp’s, this fortification has the most effective mine fields. Curiosity of Petrovaradin is that it was never conquered, therefore…

“Matica Srpska” Gallery

The Gallery of Matica Srpska is at the Gallery Square. Its history is connected with the history of Matica Srpska, the most significant cultural institution among the Serbs, and Sava Tekelija, a great benefactor who endowed to Matica Srpska all his assets, including a valuable collection of portraits. The collection of items consisting of gifts has been growing gradually, in particular after Matica Srpska…

“The Name of Mary”

Roman Catholic Parish Church of “The Name of Mary” (also known as the Cathedral) is built in Neo-Gothic style between 1893 and At the Square of Liberty it takes a significant place, exactly where the older churches used to be in the beginning of the 18th century. During the riot (1849) the church was on fire, and after the conflict, Catholic community started the renewal.

Orthodox Bishop’s Palace

PALACE OF THE EPISCOPACY OF THE SERBIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH has always been at the crossroads of ZmajJovina and Dunavska Street, at the nearby of Serbian Orthodox Cathedral Church dedicated to the Saint George. The old palace was built in 1741 by the efforts of bishop Visarion Pavlovic and was totally destroyed in 1849 during the Riot bombing from Petrovaradin Fortress.

Congregational church

Serbian Orthodox Church of St. George is the orthodox cathedral and is situated next to the Bishop’s Palace. Contemporary church is a one-nave building with a triple altar apse and with a tall Neo- Baroque belfry on the west. The first church was built at this place between 1734 and 1740. As the most of the buildings in the town, this church happened to be destroyed during the bombing in 1849.

Dunavski (Danube) Park

Danube Park relies partly on Dunavska Street after which it was named. By the beginning of the 19th century the area covered by the park nowadays used to be the marshy terrain. The regulation and drainage works started by the end of the 19th century. First land reclamation measures included filling of land for the needs of building “At the English Queen’s” that later on accommodated…

Museum of Vojvodina

is located at Dunavska Street no. 35-37. Through archaeological, ethnological, and historical collections, it keeps and presents the traces of material and spiritual culture from the territory of Vojvodina starting from Palaeolithic Age to the 20th century. The institution named Vojvodina Museum was established in 1947 by separating a part of the material from the Museum of Matica Srpska.

Matica Srpska

Matica Srpska is the oldest and most distinguished cultural and scientific institution among Serbs. It was founded in Budapest in 1826 and moved to Novi Sad in 1864. Founders of Matica srpska: Jovan Hadzic, PetarRajic, AndrijaRozmirovic, Gavrilo Bozitovac, Jovan Demetrovic, Josif Milovuk and Djordje Stankovic gathered around the idea of preserving and developing Serbian culture and…

Slovak Evangelical Church

Slovak Evangelical Church A.V. is at Jovana Subotica Street. The firstwritten documents on Slovaks in Novi Sad (formerly called Petrovaradin moat) are dating from the first decades of 18th century. The church that exists was built in 1886 by a lot of effort of the believersand the patronage of the Count Adolf Reisser. The project and the construction were led by Joseph Cocek…

Greek Catholic Church

Greek Catholic Church of Saint Apostles Peter and Paul is at Mileticeva Street, at the centre of Novi Sad. The Greek-Catholic parish was founded in 1780. The followers are mostly Ruthenians, Ukrainians and Romanians. The church was built in classicist-baroque style in 1820 and it retained the original appearance until today, since it was not demolished during the Riot in 1849.

Roman Catholic Church

Roman Catholic Church of Saint George with a convent was built in baroque style between 1701 and 1714, and a residency of the convent in 1734. On the façade of the church is a statue of the founder of the Society of Jesus, Saint Ignatius. In the basement, there is a crypt where the representatives of the nobles were buried after they got killed in battles against the Turks from 1696 to 1716.

Novi Sad Synagogue

THE NOVOSADSKA SYNAGOGUE WITH JEWISH SCHOOL AND JEWISH COMMUNITY represents a cultural and historic complex of a great importance. It is constructed by a famous Budapest architect Lipot Baumhorn who is best known for his synagogues (in Zrenjanin, Novi Sad, Szeged, Budapest and Rijeka). In Novi Sad, before the synagogue, he had built The Menrat’s Palace and…

Serbian National Theater

Serbian National Theater was established in Novi Sad in 1861 as the first professional theater among the Serbs. The beginnings of its work are connected with the activities of the Serbian Reading Room in Novi Sad, which was established by the Serbian National Theater Society aiming at enabling drama and opera art to contribute to spreading and development of Serbian culture and literature.

Our Recommendations

List of Attractions in Novi Sad

 Whether you are interested in history or culture, Novi Sad has many sights for visitors to enjoy.

source: Tourist organization of the city of Novi Sad

CITY HALL

(Also known as Magi-strate, Rathaus, Varoshaz) which was built in 1895, is situated at the Square of Liberty and represents a monumental NeoRenaissance building. Back in 1855, they had a competition at which all the builders of the Austrian Empire could compete. The job was given to the so called “baumeister”(in German-construction worker) Georg Molnar.

Petrovaradin fortress

– sometimes called “Gibraltar on the Danube” had been built between 1692 and 1780. It takes 112 acres, and is divided into the upper and a lower town. On the upper town, there are the bastions: Lower Ludwig’s bastion, Upper Ludwig’s bastion, Innocentie’s, Maria Theresa’s, St. Leopold’s and Tsar Joseph’s. Access is possible through the gates of: Ludwig, Leopold, Molinary, Karlo VI and Court gate.

Clock Tower

THE CLOCK TOWER is at the upper town of the fortress. On this site, it used to be an older one which was demolished in 18th century. The radius of the clock is more than two metres long, the four clock faces are directed toward all four cardinal directions, numbers are in roman numerals and the main characteristics of this clock is that the longer hand tells the hours and shorter tells the minutes.

“Štrand” bathing resort

Štrand is the most popular city beach that was arranged and opened for visitors in 1911 already. Nowadays it is the entire small town that stretches along 700 m long sandy beach. For the citizen of Novi Sad it is matter of prestige to have a small booth at Štrand and use the summer for socialising and good time with their friends. Štrand is a favourite place among the youngest for who have sufficient entertaining facilities.

City Museum of Novi Sad

THE MUSEUM OF NOVI SAD is located in several places. The main building is at Petrovaradin fortress and it offers two constant exhibitions “The fortress in the past” and “Novi Sad from 18th to 20th century”. Also, there are city museums in Dunavska Street in Novi Sad, in Sremski Karlovci, in Sremska Kamenica where visitors can learn many facts about Novi Sad and its history, culture, religion…

Underground galleries

SUBTERRANEAN MILITARY GALLERIES is a four storey communication and defensive system 10 miles long. This complicated system was built in 1783 and it represented a real tourist attraction. Tour guides show web of corridors and rooms, crenels and mining systems. After the Antwerp’s, this fortification has the most effective mine fields. Curiosity of Petrovaradin is that it was never conquered, therefore…

“Matica Srpska” Gallery

The Gallery of Matica Srpska is at the Gallery Square. Its history is connected with the history of Matica Srpska, the most significant cultural institution among the Serbs, and Sava Tekelija, a great benefactor who endowed to Matica Srpska all his assets, including a valuable collection of portraits. The collection of items consisting of gifts has been growing gradually, in particular after Matica Srpska…

“The Name of Mary”

Roman Catholic Parish Church of “The Name of Mary” (also known as the Cathedral) is built in Neo-Gothic style between 1893 and At the Square of Liberty it takes a significant place, exactly where the older churches used to be in the beginning of the 18th century. During the riot (1849) the church was on fire, and after the conflict, Catholic community started the renewal.

Orthodox Bishop’s Palace

PALACE OF THE EPISCOPACY OF THE SERBIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH has always been at the crossroads of ZmajJovina and Dunavska Street, at the nearby of Serbian Orthodox Cathedral Church dedicated to the Saint George. The old palace was built in 1741 by the efforts of bishop Visarion Pavlovic and was totally destroyed in 1849 during the Riot bombing from Petrovaradin Fortress.

Congregational church

Serbian Orthodox Church of St. George is the orthodox cathedral and is situated next to the Bishop’s Palace. Contemporary church is a one-nave building with a triple altar apse and with a tall Neo- Baroque belfry on the west. The first church was built at this place between 1734 and 1740. As the most of the buildings in the town, this church happened to be destroyed during the bombing in 1849.

Dunavski (Danube) Park

Danube Park relies partly on Dunavska Street after which it was named. By the beginning of the 19th century the area covered by the park nowadays used to be the marshy terrain. The regulation and drainage works started by the end of the 19th century. First land reclamation measures included filling of land for the needs of building “At the English Queen’s” that later on accommodated…

Museum of Vojvodina

is located at Dunavska Street no. 35-37. Through archaeological, ethnological, and historical collections, it keeps and presents the traces of material and spiritual culture from the territory of Vojvodina starting from Palaeolithic Age to the 20th century. The institution named Vojvodina Museum was established in 1947 by separating a part of the material from the Museum of Matica Srpska.

Matica Srpska

Matica Srpska is the oldest and most distinguished cultural and scientific institution among Serbs. It was founded in Budapest in 1826 and moved to Novi Sad in 1864. Founders of Matica srpska: Jovan Hadzic, PetarRajic, AndrijaRozmirovic, Gavrilo Bozitovac, Jovan Demetrovic, Josif Milovuk and Djordje Stankovic gathered around the idea of preserving and developing Serbian culture and…

Slovak Evangelical Church

Slovak Evangelical Church A.V. is at Jovana Subotica Street. The firstwritten documents on Slovaks in Novi Sad (formerly called Petrovaradin moat) are dating from the first decades of 18th century. The church that exists was built in 1886 by a lot of effort of the believersand the patronage of the Count Adolf Reisser. The project and the construction were led by Joseph Cocek…

Greek Catholic Church

Greek Catholic Church of Saint Apostles Peter and Paul is at Mileticeva Street, at the centre of Novi Sad. The Greek-Catholic parish was founded in 1780. The followers are mostly Ruthenians, Ukrainians and Romanians. The church was built in classicist-baroque style in 1820 and it retained the original appearance until today, since it was not demolished during the Riot in 1849.

Roman Catholic Church

Roman Catholic Church of Saint George with a convent was built in baroque style between 1701 and 1714, and a residency of the convent in 1734. On the façade of the church is a statue of the founder of the Society of Jesus, Saint Ignatius. In the basement, there is a crypt where the representatives of the nobles were buried after they got killed in battles against the Turks from 1696 to 1716.

Novi Sad Synagogue

THE NOVOSADSKA SYNAGOGUE WITH JEWISH SCHOOL AND JEWISH COMMUNITY represents a cultural and historic complex of a great importance. It is constructed by a famous Budapest architect Lipot Baumhorn who is best known for his synagogues (in Zrenjanin, Novi Sad, Szeged, Budapest and Rijeka). In Novi Sad, before the synagogue, he had built The Menrat’s Palace and…

Serbian National Theater

Serbian National Theater was established in Novi Sad in 1861 as the first professional theater among the Serbs. The beginnings of its work are connected with the activities of the Serbian Reading Room in Novi Sad, which was established by the Serbian National Theater Society aiming at enabling drama and opera art to contribute to spreading and development of Serbian culture and literature.

Conference Contact Address

PanaComp Wonderland Travel
Bul. Cara Lazara 96
21000 Novi Sad | Serbia